Remember the Pied Crow photographed near M’hamid, eastern Sahara, on 1st November 2015 by Thomas S. Lahlafi? And next day, Brahim Bakass tried to find the bird but without success.
Well, Brahim has finally found the Pied Crow at the village of M’hamid on 29 February 2016. Also, he was informed by his contacts in the region, that the bird has been regularly seen around the village. So this Pied Crow had stayed in the Mhamid region at least 4 months.
A Pied Crow photographed by Christian Cederroth (AviFauna Naturresor) at Hotel Kasbah, Mhamid, on 1 November 2016 (photo 1).
It’s exactly one year since the bird has been reported here (most likely the same bird). Also, taking into account the previous breeding event at Chtoukan, north of Dakhla in 2010, another breeding event at Mhamid would be wonderful (a bird of the opposite sex is needed!!!).
The Pied Crow still at Mhamid in 2017:
– The Pied Crow is still present at Mhamid on 22 January 2017, it was seen at the abattoir of the souk this time (photo 2). Thanks Brahim Bakass!
– The ‘Big Year WP’ team also saw the bird on 8 February (photo 3).
– Next day, the bird was also observed at the abattoir by a group of birders from Switzerland (thanks Mario Camici for the comment).
– On 23 February, Robert Swann found the bird at a slightly different place nearby.
– The bird still at Mhamid on 30 March.
It’s 2018, and the bird still present:
– Brahim Bakass photographed the bird again on the last day of 2017 at the same place: near the market (Souk) just to the west of Hotel Kasbah (photo 4). Thanks again!
– The bird still present on 25 February 2018. Martin Suanjak from Austria wrote: “We saw it at the western end of the town, where the road ends and the dirt tracks into the desert start”.